Friday, October 5, 2012

Oldie But a Goodie

Most people loved school growing up. I hated school. I'll say it again: I. Hated. School. Social aspect? Loved it! But the escuela part? Hated. I have no idea why this was the case. I'm smart and I was in honors classes but I just detested having to do homework...I had a very hard time focusing.

One thing I had a lot of in high school were sick days. It was like this: if I had a headache, I didn't go to school. I'd be propped up in mom and dad's bed with the remote in hand and I'd be set for the day. I slept a lot, watched a little Price is Right and some Perry Mason sure, but the thing I loved most about those sick days was Bob Ross.

Ah, Bob. I always thought that I was the only person who knew or appreciated Bob Ross and his happy trees and clouds that he dreamt up in those imaginary landscapes. Is everyone aware that he never painted actual places? I'm pretty sure it took me a while to figure this out because for most of my life I was always trying to figure out which mountain range he was painting at one time or another. Answer: None that exists in this world. Yes, Bob, it seems had quite the vivid imagination. I thought that the show had been cancelled until gold was struck last week. He's still on!

I was making lunch for the children. I went to turn the channel to the news at noon and then: it was as if angels sang right there in my kitchen. Bob Ross appeared on the screen and I kid you not- like a moth to a flame R was transfixed; we both were, actually. The only thing that drew me away were B's cries for more food. I think we'll start watching daily.
I stumbled upon this little gem tonight and it made me smile. It appears to have been viewed a tremendous number of times so please, if I'm totally out of the loop on popular YouTube videos, just know that I'm an attentive mother who doesn't surf the web all day.




post script: when I was 6 I had an assistant soccer coach (teammate's dad) who could have been Bob Ross' twin. Right down to the clothes. Greta and Sam, you have to know who I'm talking about...I just can't remember their last name!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment