Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A New Place to Hide the Broccoli

My grandfather turned 87 last Friday so on Sunday night our family gathered for cake and ice cream and of course the singing of the Happy Birthday song complete with grandpa bringing in the harmony...on his own birthday. Family after family arrived and the kitchen grew smaller and smaller and soon aunts, uncles, cousins and whoever else started shimmy-ing by one another. On one such shimmy, my cousin Marit scooted by me and little B who was perched on my hip. She exclaimed "what is in his eye?"

I looked at his eye and said "his pupil."

"No Katie, look at the corner of his eye!" she insisted.

I looked. Sure enough, there, in the corner of B's eye was...something. I couldn't figure out what it was. It was dark though, whatever it was so I pulled down on the skin under his eye to reveal: a piece of broccoli. Seriously. Yes, we'd eaten broccoli for dinner but...in his eye?

I was rather large, but he wasn't acting like it bothered him which was weird. I handed him off and ran and got a Q-Tip then we performed what can only be described as an "Operation-esque procedure" (yes, the "guy with Rudolph nose that lights up when you remove the rubber band" game) It only took one little swipe and it was out. I paraded the little tree around so the entire family could marvel at the oddity.

That's it- no tears. No blood. Just broccoli. A first for me as a mother, although I'm pretty sure that my years of removing odd objects from the holes in B's head are just beginning. Case in point: the kid ate goose poop yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment