Wednesday, September 26, 2012

...And Then, There's Reality

We all do it: post a picture on a blog or Facebook of the Super Housewife we believe ourselves to be and the domestic accomplishments that we're so proud of. Be it a craft or a yummy dinner or dessert: whatever; we want everyone to think that we've got it all together right? So, when you see those pictures you look around your messy house and wonder what is wrong with you and why aren't you able to be Super Housewife like all of the others; why, the second you turn your attention to something else that chaos ensues around you and your kitchen looks like the tupperware drawer threw up because the crawling child has had a hay day during your mental absence. Admit it.

Here's a secret: they are lying. We all are!

I'm canning peaches today and while normally I would probably just post a close-up picture of the orange goodness inside of the jars and say something like "we've been busy..." I'm not. I'm going to show you what my house actually looks like today and it 'aint pretty.

Exhibits:




Here's my kitchen



Here's what my table looks like
Here is my floor at this exact moment...hot.

And this is what my children look like right now


You may all proceed to tell yourselves how superior you are to me when in reality, we've all been there. Remember, no one is perfect and the woman who wants everyone to think she can do everything is probably crying by herself at night and taking shots at 11 am.  

Here's a good gauge that my doctor gave me: its a good day if you haven't dropped an F-bomb at your toddler. Perspective? Truth is, 1 hour from now the Cheerios will be swept, the clutter put away and diapers changed. It will all get done! Not to mention that while the kiddos sleep I get to have a cleaning party as Journey blasts through the house! Holla! Just be sure to tell yourself daily that you are doing a great job!

PS...R has a poopy diaper that needs changing and I'm letting her marinate while I type. More examples!

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! LOVE it...not to mention that the peaches probably are poisoned because it's taken hours and hours to can them...at least that's what happens at my house. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! I was actually wondering if that was possible!!! Thank Melissa, for the laugh and the reassurance!

      Delete
  2. Truth, you speak it so well! I LOVE the F bomb thing!
    Myranda
    www.prettylivingpdx.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking how GOOD the house looked while you were busy canning!! You're good a great job Katie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right Paula? No Kool-Aid prints on the carpet: check. I'm good! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I adore this post. As a wife with no kids, I often feel the need to keep the house completely clean at all times. Then I get burned out and it gets overly messy. Lately, I've been telling myself that we are doing the best we can, and I almost always have at least 30 minutes to clean during the evening. Im not sure why Im still shocked that I can get most the house clean in 30 min. Thank you for showing us you arent perfect! If we all did that we'd all be much healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! We consider it a successful day if we have showered by the time Mike gets home at 5:30 and most days we are cutting it pretty close :)If we have accomplished anything by that time it is like I am super woman. And serious kudos for canning, that is way more domestic than anything I have ever done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it. You put everything into perspective so well. So many times I find myself looking on pinterest thinking...when do I have time to do all of that, and how do they? They don't! They just do it every once in a while and get a great picture of whatever it is:) Might I add, as I'm typing this, Ian is banging on the walls and singing jingle bells...fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the thoughts and the sanity it brings when I stupidly try to keep up with full time moms. I'll accomplish what I can when I can.
    PS. Did Dr. Chapman say that? He gave James and I advice pretty close to that...only about poop.

    ReplyDelete